A Bird's Eye View
Over the course of the last month, here are some of the things I have seen:
- An Akita jump out of the back of his owner's truck, his leash forcing him to scramble alongside as the vehicle continued to move.
- A client struggling to decide which of two very long term dogs she liked better and wanted to adopt.
- A mother cat and her kittens literally thrown over our fence when we were closed.
- That same Akita blossom into a happy gentle dog in our shelter and find a new home.
- A four month old puppy already aggressive enough that I had to explain to the family coming in for classes why it would be unsafe to keep their dog.
- Maddie, a herding dog who came into the SPCA unable to politely meet other dogs on leash, become one of our best play group dogs.
- A senior poodle, her bladder so chronically infected that it had made bladder stones 2 cm wide. So many, in fact, that a vet referred to her as "the sandbag".
- The same poodle having her stones removed, her infection treated, and regaining the spring in her step.
- A dog abandoned outside of our property, his back legs mostly paralyzed.
- A pug finding a new home in spite of his potentially chronic hairloss.
- Row upon row of unwanted pets that we cannot transfer to our shelter.
- The one that we could.